Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sunday Morning Wake-up

Nothing says Sunday Morning, like a big delicious brunch.  I like waking up before anyone else (except my two catdogs, Baxter and Weasley) put on Jack Johnson's Banana Pancakes and start the breakfast feast.  I like to make a large batch of pancakes, eggs, or bacon (for the man, not me!).  The trick is to remember that delicious food can be healthy!  For instance, I like these scrambled "eggs" for my weekend breakfast, since I have been flirting with veganism since last year.  They are also a great choice if you are watching your cholesterol.  If I am making real eggs, I aim for a 1:3 yolk to egg white ratio.  I would use this same egg ratio rule if making french toast.  As always, use real maple syrup (no fake stuff) and choose a yummy whole grain bread.  Even if you don't change the meal itself, but you change the kind of ingredients, then you are doing yourself a favor.

Anyway, without a doubt, my ultimate breakfast specialty is pancakes.  The recipe I use comes from my father's weekend classic.  When he would make these pancakes, it would last me nearly ALL day.  
 
Here is my dad's featured recipe:

Rick's Secretly Healthy Short Stack

Here is the dry  mix:
2 1/2 cups spelt flour
1/2 cup soy flour
1/2 cup Quinoa or Kamut flour
1/2 cup barley or Amaranth flour
1/4 cup rice flour
1 cup oat or wheat bran
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
** You can also add some protein powder to give this a muscle-man-kick.

Thoroughly mix the dry ingredients.

To make pancakes, mix the following just before cooking:

1 cup dry mix
1 cup milk, either rice, soy, almond, goat, or cow
I egg (or vegan substitute...I like one mushed banana)
healthy dose of milled flax seed
1 tsp of baking powder (non-aluminum)

Mix can also be used to make waffles, and you can add just about anything to the wet mix like berries, granola, fruit, etc

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment